Thursday, May 10, 2018

Masada, Camels, and the Dead Sea


On my last day in Israel, we were crazy busy. We started out riding camels! 

It was so fun to have this experience. 


I got a camel named Leveana that was a new mom.  She was very happy walking down the mountain when she thought she was headed towards her baby.  She was very grumpy going up the mountain away from her baby.  I decided she was my spirit animal. 

Here we are getting on. 

A nice shot when we are ready to ride and then in action. 


I cannot say the same for dismounting.  This may be my least dignified picture ever. 

Here are my friends on camels too! 



After thoroughly washing our hands, we got to make our own pita over the fire. 


They had tons of other delicious snacks for us as well. 


We got a group picture with our flag in front of the desert. 

We got some jumping videos too.



I didn't realize the desert could be so beautiful. 


We had a special naming ceremony where women could choose a new Hebrew name if they wanted. 

My friend Jocelyn converted nine years ago, but she was unhappy with her Hebrew name.  It was so special to be there as she went through the ceremony and changed her name. 


 After the morning, we rode a bus to Masada.  We didn't get to hike to the top, but we took the cable cars instead. 







It was amazing to be at the site of King Herod's palace built in 30 B.C. 

We had a fantastic tour guide to show us around and teach us about the siege. 

We went in the amazing Roman style bath house. 










When we left there, we drove to swim in the dead sea.  We put mud all over ourselves, and I tried to recreate Ari's picture from his trip to Israel when he was 16. 









We had so much fun floating in the water.  It was the coolest thing, and I see why it is a not to be missed item on every world traveler's list. 

My trip to Israel was so special and amazing.  I made new great friends, learned tons, ate delicious food, and saw amazing history.  I also got a baby this week, so it is an experience I will never forget. I am so glad Ari encouraged me to go, and that he is such an amazing father who can care for our kids on his own with no problems (besides the surprise baby!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment