Saturday, October 29, 2016

Red Ribbon Week

Last week was Red Ribbon week at Brentfield. On Monday the boys wore patriotic attire, on Tuesday was pajama day, Wednesday was camo, and then came Thursday!  Thursday was book character day for the Kindergarteners. Here is Tahl as Mr. Gilly.

As you can see, Mr. Gilly is a trash man from one of our favorite books, "Trashy Town."  It has been a favorite for each boy between the ages of 1.5 to 2.5.  Isaac is still in the middle of loving it, and it reminded his brothers how much they loved it too.  

This was all Tahl's concept.  He insisted on the overalls, gloves, and blue long sleeve shirt. 

As you can see, he matches the book character Mr. Gilly pretty well.

Here he is listening to a story with his class.  He is in the front row. 


On Thursday, the theme for the other grades was "Don't Let Drugs Tie You Down."  Zev wore tie dye and a tie! 

On Friday was the statue garden project that Zev has been working on for quite a while. 

The kids did research to pick who they wanted to represent in the garden, and Zev chose Martin Luther King Junior.  Then he read four or five books about MKL to learn what he wanted to say.  Here he is frozen before someone pushed his button.

Ready to give his speech.


Here is a video of Zev doing his speech.  I think he was nervous that I was recording him so he looked at his paper.  I've seen him give it several times without looking down.

He didn't want to break character to take a picture with me, but I made him.

Here he is with his whole class in their costumes.

At the end of the day on Friday, Tahl asked me "What are drugs anyway mom?" So between going out of my way to make crazy outfits, and my child asking me what drugs are when he previously didn't know the word, I'm not sure yet if I like red ribbon week.  I do love book character day though.


No comments:

Post a Comment