Saturday, August 20, 2016

Grandma and Grandpa

Last week my grandma and grandpa both got to come home from the hospital to be together at their assisted living home. 

Here they are when they had gone out to lunch with some of the family. 


They decided soon after they both got home that they would both go on hospice care.  I drove in town to visit my grandma and grandpa the next day.  Here I am with my grandma.  I got lots of good time to snuggle her and just tell her how much I love her. 

Zev understood what was going on, and he wanted us to go back that weekend so that he could say goodbye to Grandma and Grandpa.

We wanted to get a picture of them with all six of their great grand kids, but that wouldn't work without some moms in the picture. 

The very next day, on Sunday August 14th my grandma passed away.

It was a very tough day for me. I hate that I couldn't be there, but I know that she was surrounded by people who love her.  My brother Scott acted as her hospice nurse, and I know he was amazing.
Look how young she was here.  I love having these. 

Because my grandpa had stopped dialysis, I am told that he was somewhat confused by Sunday. I am not sure how much he understood what was happening, but he was there with my grandma when she passed away. 

My grandma has always been one of my best friends. I talk to her on the phone all the time about my kids, my life, and just anything.  She was the most loving and happy person.  You could not ask for a better grandmother.  She has been such a big influence in my life, and I can't explain how much I miss her already. 
Just looking at this picture makes me giggle because I remember her telling me how much she needed to use the restroom, but she couldn't because she would never get her spanx back up.  Even when it rained on my wedding day, my grandma could make me giggle.


By Wednesday early in the morning, my grandpa joined my grandma, which was just how they wanted it. It was truly a love real love story with ups and downs. 

My grandpa was a kind, hard working, and loving man who was always there for his family.  This has always been my favorite picture of him. I feel like you can really see how loved he is by all the people in the background.

I love this picture from my wedding of grandma dancing with Scott. 

I have loved spending time with both of them for as long as I can remember.

We would play in their backyard for hours, go to the movies with my grandma, and my grandpa would take me out for donuts.  On his 80th birthday, he took Zev to the movies. 

They were the best parents to my dad and each of his siblings. They were so lucky to have them as an example to follow. 

I know they lived a long and happy life, but it doesn't stop me from missing them. 

We will be going to Tyler this weekend for the joint funeral, and I hope there are lots of tissues there. I know there will be lots of Elvis music, lots of food and hugging, and lots of love because that is just how they would have wanted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment